Friday, November 9, 2012

Prayer In My Damn Bed

In my 33 years, I've stayed in tens of hotels.  I do not recall ever finding a prayer card on my bed.  Until today.


I'm in Springfield, Missouri for Skepticon 5.  This is what I found on my bed:
In ancient times there was a prayer for
"The Stranger within our gates"
Because this hotel is a human institution to serve people, and not solely a money making organization, we hope that God will grant you peace and rest while you are under our roof.
May this suite and hotel be your "second" home. May those you love be near you   in thoughts and dreams.  Even though we may not get to know you, we that you will be comfortable and happy as if you were in your own house.
May the business that brought you our way prosper.   May every call you make  and every message you receive add to your joy.  When you leave, may your journey be safe.
We are all travelers.  From "birth till death" we travel between the eternities.  May  these days be pleasant for you, profitable for society, helpful for those you meet, and a joy to those who know and love you best.

It states they hope we are comfortable in our stay.  Then how about not subjecting me to this subtle reminder of your religion?

I wonder if it was even suggested that, for the conference of atheists filling their hotel, they not put these things in the rooms.  Even on nights when their hotel is not full of atheists, had it ever occurred to them that some guests might this offensive?

I'm tired of the religious just assuming everyone shares their superstitions.  It certainly would be nice if they'd think beyond their own world view for a change.

For more on these prayer cards, see JT Eberhard's post on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment