Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving

I am often a moderately cynical person.  But I do think it's important to make a point to be thankful for the good bits of life.  Thanksgiving Day seems like an appropriate time to do that.

So, here's a short list of things I'm thankful for:
  • My Parents - They were/are Christian, but they did teach me critical thinking.  I've always been atheist, and they knew it before I did.  But they never tried to shame me over it, and they never used the despicable indoctrination tactics used by fundamentalists.  We only rarely said a prayer before meals, and we certainly didn't today.
  • Omaha Atheists - I'm not someone who makes friends easily, and for most of my life, I've felt alone in being a nonbeliever.  Just by joining an atheist group, both of those problems have simply disappeared.  I'm thankful to have met this community of such wonderful, intelligent, caring people.  Now I get to focus on other problems (of which the world and I have plenty more).
  • Table Top Games - Games like Settler of Catan, etc, provide a fun way to exercise the brain, while also socializing with friends.  I'm thankful for the people who created these games as well as the people I get to share them with.
  • Indoor Plumbing - For millions of years, we shit outside.  Toilet paper didn't exist.  By comparison, the time since we first used the first remedial indoor toilets and toilet paper is relatively short.  Even shorter for the time since flush toilets and rolls of toilet paper.  Not only does it let us do our business without going outside in Winter, it also makes our society a whole lot more sanitary.
What are you thankful for this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment