Friday, February 1, 2013

Coming Out Can Be Contagious

A little while ago, a post on CNN about raising children without God was quite popular.  I saw it posted in several places.

It was also quite unpopular, among a different crowd who attempted to get it removed by flagging it as inappropriate so many times the CNN staff added a message about it.
Update: CNN hasn't flagged this iReport as inappropriate, but some community members have. This is a divisive topic, however it does not violate our Community Guidelines, so we ask people to please stop flagging it. We will continue to review the story as often as possible.
- dsashin, CNN iReport producer
I wish I were surprised enough by their attempt to shut up the atheist to have something to rant about it on it, but it's so commonplace at this point, I think I'm desensitized to it.  It's just what they do, unfortunately.

Besides, their flagging is part of what got the post shared more often.  I see that as a victory, as their hate backfired on them.  It's also a victory, because another blogger, credited that post as her inspiration for coming out as atheist.

I love how she did it, inlcuding:
I don't begrudge others their religion or right to broadcast it. 
I just don't want to present myself as something other than what I am, and my lack of religion is a big part of me. 
I don't plan to make it a major theme of this blog, but it's one piece of who I am. 
Nor should she be expected to.  Being atheist isn't all we are.  If she wanted to write an atheist blog, that's what she'd be doing.  She wanted to write about being a mother, so that's what she'll do.  But I'm certainly glad she's revealed her atheism.  When she's in a group that is so predominately Christian, just the act of coming out does a tremendous amount for the Atheist Movement, whether she's actively participating in it or not.

She doesn't have to write about atheism to help make life better for atheists in our society.  She just has to keep doing what she's been doing.  Being a normal, decent person, who is good without God.

Thanks to @itzmeufool

No comments:

Post a Comment