Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Reasons I'm Glad I'm Atheist, She-Ra Edition

Despite the best efforts of my childhood dog, who would only eat my He-Man toys while ignoring all my other toys, I loved He-Man.  So when She-Ra began, I watched that too.  I may have even liked it better.  Although, I cannot be sure since I was six years old when it started.

Either way, my point is that I never had a concept that show was supposedly "for girls".  I just knew that I liked it.  I never had religion telling me that I couldn't watch it because I was boy.  I never had shame imposed on me for not fitting into narrow minded expectations of gender roles.  My parents didn't freak out thinking that watching it might make gay.

I watched what I liked.  Thundercats, GI Joe, Transformers, Silverhawks, M.A.S.K., Duck Tales, Shirt-Tales, Snorks, He-Man, She-Ra.  I didn't watch what I didn't like.  Jonny Quest, Jem.  Gender was irrelevant.

When people ask, what we "get" out of atheism, as if everything must have a tangible reward to be worthwhile, this is a small example.  We get the freedom to like whatever the hell we feel like, without being hindered by religion and its stupid, stupid ideas on gender roles.

Credit:  @drzach

No comments:

Post a Comment