Thursday, March 20, 2014

A Note On Some Responses To Fred Phelps Dying

When Jerry Falwell died, I shed no tears.  I was happy because his absence made the world a better place.  But it's different for me this time around.  I simply cannot be happy about it this time.

Maybe it's because, since then, I've had more exposure to the atheist community.  I've seen so many people who naturally behave out of love rather than hate.  More than just about anyone I've met, Nathan Phelps is one of those people.  I've had the honor of meeting him and experienced first hand what a genuinely kind hearted person he is.

My inability to be happy is likely also biased by the fact that I've been through the same loss.  I know how hard it was for me, and I didn't have the added burden of both being excluded by my family and having the world tell me how happy they were about my father's death.  Every time I see that sentiment expressed, I see it through a combination of (my perception of) Nate's eyes and my own.

It's hurtful, unnecessary, and unbecoming of humanist values.  I get the urge to respond how I've seen many do, but we owe it to ourselves and to each other to be better.The best response to hate is not more hate.  The best response to hate is to show that, even when it's the easy choice, you will not add to the hate.

The best response to hate is love.  Let's please all remember that as best we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment